The proposals sent by Fianna Fáil for the matter of Irish Overseas and the Diaspora were received by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and will be used in order to prepare for the Review of Foreign Policy and External Relations, as well as for a greater range of issues.
The key proposals for the Irish Overseas and Diaspora include:
• Minister for the Irish Overseas and Diaspora
• Extending voting rights to Irish citizens living outside the state.
• Fostering Diaspora Direct Investment
• Expanding the rights to Irish Citizenship.
• Introducing an Irish Card
• Increasing the appointments of Honarary Consulars across the globe
• Forging inter-parliamentary relations.
• Promoting educational institutes abroad by increasing access to third level institutions
• Creating a birthright program, an educational travel program.
• Increasing Irish culture overseas
• Promoting Irish tourism among the diaspora.
With respect to this, a Review of Ireland’s Diaspora Strategy is currently developing, in order to examine our commitment to Irish abroad. This will allow all submissions made to the Foreign Policy Review in accordance to the Diaspora and issues of emigration to be available for the Diaspora policy review team.